- How large are your class sizes?
- Do children dance with dancers their same age?
- What is the refund policy?
- What is the duration of the dance year?
- My child has never danced, what group would he/she start in?
- What fundraising is involved?
- When will my child perform?
- What safety precautions are in place for COVID-19?
- Do I rent or own my costume?
- Which groups compete?
- What is the fee payment structure like?
- How much are fees for the year?
- Can I stay in the studio during class?
- When is it too late to register?
- How long are the classes?
- What is proper dance attire and why is it necessary?
1. How large are your class sizes?
Class sizes will vary but typically range from 7-15 dancers.
2. Do children dance with dancers their same age?
Dancers older than Preschool and Tiny Tots are grouped according to age, ability, attendance, and attitude. Dancer placement is at the sole discretion of the instructors. Children must have turned 4 by December 31 in order to register for the Preschool class. Tiny Tots is available for dancers who are 3-4 years old (this class introduces movement in a fun and creative way).
3. What is the refund policy?
Class start to Oct 1 – full Refund
Oct 2-Nov 1 – 75% refund
Nov 2 -Dec 1 – 50% refund
Dec 2 – Jan 1 – 25% refund
Jan 2 – onward – 0 Refund
All cases will be evaluated on an individual basis to accommodate extenuating circumstances. If for any reason we are required to suspend our in-person classes, weekly classes will continue via an online learning platform. No registration refunds will be given for studio closure or missed classes due to COVID-19.
4. What is the duration of the dance year?
September to early May, with the Year-End concert typically marking the end of the season. Tiny Tots will run as an 8 week session (September -October).
5. My child has never tried Ukrainian Dance. What group would he/she start in?
Instructors will place dancers according to their age with consideration given to any prior dance experience. Completing the registration form will help our instructors determine which class will be the best fit for your child; class placements are determined in early summer, following which an email will be sent to you with registration details including class day and time and how to submit payment.
Instructors will evaluate placement in the first few weeks of class to ensure the best fit for each dancer’s success. Placement may be subject to change until choreography starts in October.
6. What fundraising is involved?
Boyan holds a couple of bottle drives/bottle drops in addition to a few additional fundraisers during the season (ie. perogy sales, etc). We have a couple of minimum participation fundraisers during the year, and also encourage members to participate in each of the other fundraising initiatives to the best of their ability as fundraising helps to keep our registration costs reasonable and support studio expenses.
7. When will my child perform?
All groups from Preschool- Senior typically perform at Malanka in January, as well as at the Year-End concert in May. Groups Beginner – Senior perform at Competitions (see #10 below). Novice-Senior level Boyan dancers may also be asked to perform for community events (ie. Folkfest or Vesna) by invitation.
8. What safety precautions are in place for COVID-19?
Boyan does not require masking in accordance with current Provincial guidelines, but anyone who wishes to wear a mask is invited to do so. We encourage all members to follow all Public Health recommendations. The studio is sanitized regularly and hand sanitizer is available at multiple points in the studio spaces and common areas for everyone to use.
9. Do I rent or own my costume for performances?
Younger groups: Dancers are required to purchase their own embroidered Poltava blouse/shirt (this is part of the costume requirement for the younger groups). Younger boys may be required to purchase their Poltava pants and Poyas (belt).
Older Groups: Group costumes are rented from Boyan for a fee.
Purchase of shoes is each dancer’s responsibility.
10. Which groups compete?
Novice, Junior, Intermediate and Senior groups compete at 2-3 competitions each season. Beginner groups compete at local (Saskatoon) competition only. Competitions season runs between March-May. Dancers also have the option to perform “Extra Dances” (ie. solos, duets, etc) at competitions.
11. What is the fee payment structure like?
Payment can be made in either one lump sum payment or two equal installments dated September 1 and January 1. If two payments are made, both cheques must accompany your registration form. E-transfer is another payment option.
12. How much are fees for the year?
Preschool – $275; Beginner – $400; Novice – $425; Junior – $525; Intermediate – $575; Senior – $600. Tiny Tots (8 week class) – $60. There is also a $5.00 family membership fee for all dancers. Other costs may include costume rentals and competition fees (as applicable, depending on which class you are in).
13. Can I stay in the studio during class?
Parents are invited to wait in the common area during class. There will be an opportunity for parents to watch the last 1o minutes of each class most months.
14. When is it too late to register?
Registration will be closed as of September 30, 2022.
15. How long are the classes?
Tiny Tots and Preschool classes are 30 minutes, all other groups are 1 hour to 1.75 hours long. Classes run once per week, typically between Tuesday- Thursday. Monday or Friday evening classes may be added if needed to accommodate the number of dancers.
16. What is proper dance attire for class and why is it necessary?
All dancers are requested to wear all black clothing. Hair is to be pulled back and off the face.
Specific clothing and shoe requirements for each class are outlined in the Dancer Handbook, which is provided following registration.